And they think Winchendon学校 | NYC is one of the schools you should explore.
对大多数纽约家庭来说, the attraction to private high school centers around college admission and readiness. 家长和学生都在寻找严谨的学术, 健壮的课外活动 and professional counseling that provide an edge on college applications.
在纽约, home to some of the most cutting-edge – and expensive – private high schools in the country, consultants say interest in private education has expanded in the wake of the pandemic.
“为了应对新冠肺炎, we saw an uptick in private school applications and an uptick in the number of public-school families who are making a transition to private school,Whitney Shashou说, 纽约Admit的创始人兼总裁, 一个教育咨询公司.
对大多数纽约家庭来说, the attraction to private high school centers around college admission and readiness. 家长和学生都在寻找严谨的学术, 健壮的课外活动 and professional counseling that provide an edge on college applications. Many are willing to pay tens of thousands of dollars in annual tuition and thousands more to consultants who can help find the right high school and increase students’ chances of getting in.
Other families are simply looking for a better education for their children, 班级规模较小, 个性化的教学, 在公立学校距离较远的情况下，还要进行面对面的学习.
“We definitely had clients who made the switch,” says Tamar Lindenfeld, founder of Chalkdust Inc.，提供辅导、补充学习和学术咨询. “在COVID, they were so disappointed with how their public school dealt with virtual or hybrid education, 他们只是觉得他们的孩子没有得到他们需要的东西. 私立学校在这方面做得很好.”
Competition for admission to 纽约的私立高中 has always been high. But for those who get in, proponents say the educational opportunities are difficult to match.
“You can’t really compare the level of education received from a top private 纽约 school to any other school in the country,克里斯托弗·Rim说。, 指挥教育的创始人和首席执行官. “你就是不能.”
New York’s top private high schools regularly send graduates to Ivy League colleges (although so do its elite public high schools, 就像 史蒂文森). 例如, 布兰蕾学校, 曼哈顿一所著名的K-12女子学校, 在2017年至2021年期间向哈佛大学输送了28名学生.
“很多都是为了上大学做准备，”肖秀说. “这是获得有趣的课程机会, 独特的社区服务措施, programs and travel abroad learning experiences that you may not get access to in a public school.”
缺点是, admissions experts note that universities are only going to take so many students from a single high school. A larger pool of accomplished students means more competition for slots at top colleges.
“在过去, more parents thought that if you attended an elite private school in Manhattan, that your chances are significantly higher at getting into an Ivy League school,”边说. “现在，情况并非如此. 你必须在这上面做很多工作. 成绩和考试分数是不够的. 你必须超越自己. 我认为现在越来越多的父母意识到了这一点.”
就像许多大城市一样, 在纽约市，私立教育的主要障碍是学费. Average private high school tuition 在纽约 State is about $22,500 a year, according to the 教育数据倡议在城市里，这个数字可能是这个数字的两倍多. At the Horace Mann学校, for instance, high school tuition is more than $57,000 a year, 根据学校的说法.
当然，大多数学校都提供经济援助. 贺拉斯·曼, 例如, 约15%的学生每年获资助约1,200万元, 根据学校的说法. 但很多顾问都这么说, 在纽约, there is no shortage of ultra-wealthy families willing not only to pay full tuition, 但除此之外，还要捐钱给奖学金和学校改善.
“For these families, paying $50,000 is really not an issue at all,”边说.
Plenty of families do not fit that profile, but there’s no guarantee that they will receive help. One common scenario is families who have enough money to live in 纽约, 但也不至于让他们负担得起学费. Yet those same families may have trouble qualifying for need-based financial aid.
“你过着体面的生活, but … you may not actually qualify for financial aid because you’re making too much,”Lindenfeld说. “它让你处于一个奇怪的中间地带.”
- 途径:世界 服务于从幼儿园到12年级的1750名学生. 除了纽约, the school has campuses in Brazil and China and has a campus set to open in Silicon Valley.
- 布兰蕾学校 is an all-girls K-12 school serving about 770 students, including about 255 in high school. About 60% of the student body are students of color and the student-to-teacher ratio is 6-to-1.
- 布朗宁学校 是一所招收400名K-12年级学生的男校吗. 学生和教师的比例是7比1. 该校位于第62街的校区距离纽约中央公园“422步”.
- 道尔顿学校 一所K-12学校是否有1325名学生. 学生和教师的比例是7比1. Dalton also features about 80 clubs and activities in high school and 50 sports teams in middle school and high school.
- Horace Mann学校 is a PK-12 school serving about 1,790 students, including about 735 in high school. 这所学校在纽约有两个校区, 以及位于伯利恒的320英亩的约翰多尔自然实验室, 康涅狄格, 哪一个是户外教育中心.
- Lycée Français de New York PK-12学校是否提供法语和英语双语教育. The school receives more than 150 visits from artists and authors every year.
- 河谷乡村学校 是否有一所pk12CMD368体育约1,200名学生. 学生代表了70多个国家. 这所学校的师生比例是5比1.
- 黑麦乡村走读学校 is a PK-12 school serving about 940 students, including about 430 in high school. 学生和教师的比例是7比1 and the average class size in high school is 15.
- 三一学院 这里有大约1040名K-12年级的学生. 这所学校成立于1709年，师生比例为13比1.
- Winchendon学校 服务于大约330名9-12年级的寄宿和走读生. 班级平均人数为8人, 该校有两个校区，一个在纽约市，另一个在温顿, 麻萨诸塞州.